Today I finally finished listening to the Wagner's "Der Ring des Nibelungen" opera (CD recording only alas). The complete Ring Cycle took me exactly four days to finish listening but I don't regret of any single hour spent! Only now I think I can understand Nietzsche's "The Birth of Tragedy out of the Spirit of Music" better. Indeed when Dionysian and Apollonian origins join they form something that is equally solemn (the music) and tragical (the epic) but leaves you anyway exhilarated.
I'm still sitting here, humming Hojotoho! ;) and reading more about Nibelung. Honestly, these days I discovered a previously unknown to me Norse mythology and epic. I didn't think of such rich mythical worlds existed outside the Greece. Obviously, I need to learn more (just ordered a book with West European epics collection, it will be a nice addon to my collection of Greek, Roman and Slavonic mythology).
28 June 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
But the real question...do you now have an overwhelming urge to invade Poland? ;-)
Amazing isn't it? I'm so happy to meet another Wagnerite! I discovered Wagner around this time last year (Tristan and Isolde) and haven't lived a day without his music since. Which of the four operas was you favorite? -- I assume it was The Valkyrie. Which were your favorite scenes?
Personally I have the Bohm recording, and the Boulez DVDs. My favorite part of The Ring is probably The Valkyrie, especially Wotan's farewell to Brunnhilde, but the first act and finale of Twilight of the Gods is just... stunning.
It seems like your interest in Wagner grew from an interest in Nietzsche; for me, the situation is reversed. I'm currently reading Nietzsche's Beyond Good and Evil. You would certainly enjoy The Tristan Chord, Wagner and Philosophy by Bryan Magee.
D.
> do you now have an overwhelming urge to
> invade Poland? ;-)
Hehe, no, unlike Mr. Schicklgruber, I'm pacifist for sure ;) But nevertheless I like Nietzsche and Wagner :)
> Amazing isn't it?
Yes, certainly amazing! And yes, my favorite is indeed The Valkyrie. I agree with you, the final act and Wotan's farewell is heartbreaking, but my favourite is probably the fourth scene in second act where Siegmund meets Brünnhilde and she decides to protect him in the battle.
> It seems like your interest in Wagner grew
> from an interest in Nietzsche
Right, two years ago I read the "The Birth of Tradegy..." and recently remembered it when I saw Wagner's discs.
As for Bryan Magee's book, I've looked at local online shops and did not found it. It seems that it has not been printed in Ukraine yet. Amazon is too expensive for only one book, will have to wait. I usually order a couple of books together to cut down delivery price.
Post a Comment